Saturday, July 11, 2009

coffers and coughers

I have been a little under the weather for the past 6 weeks.

And with the trip looming I have been forced financially to keep working, which hasn't helped the healing.

Currently convalescing from a malady that this clue, if you know your Tennessee Williams, should enlighten you:



So with a fair amount of recuperation time up my sleeve I have had plenty of opportunity to spend on the finer details of my forthcoming adventure.

Here is an extract from my itinerary as it so far stands:


(click for larger view)

Yes I know it smacks of anal-retentiveness, but let me tell you - with dwindling days 'til my dotage, I am more and more conscious of the fact that I am not likely to get the opportunity to return to a lot of the countries I visit.

One of the remarkable things about the internet is the degree to which you can plan an overseas trip to maximise the time you have there.

These days I can achieve at least double that which i could in the days when I would simply set off with an out of date Lonely Planet under my arm.

I know many of you would hanker after those halcyon days where wandering like a will-o'-the-wisp seemed like the simple essence of backpacking travel.

But how often did I return home from a trip to be asked "And what did you think of the ------?" to which I could only reply "THAT was THERE???"

I am far better informed and prepared these days and thanks to the 'www' I save bucket loads of money by doing this pre-travel research.

No comments: