Friday, October 12, 2007

east coast

Mike (from the walk) and I hired a little red tin can in Hobart for a few days so we could explore a little of the East coast.

After whizzing up Mt Wellington which forms the backdrop to Hobart, and not being able to see much from the summit because of cloud, we headed for Port Arthur. On the way we passed Eaglehawk Neck which provided some great ocean views.


Near Eaglehawk Neck


Port Arthur was interesting, especially as I was familiar with a lot of its history courtesy of my PhD thesis where I had investigated convict life in the early days of the colony.


Port Arthur

From Port Arthur we drove north through the Wierengta National Park to Freycinet National Park and Wineglass Bay. On the way we stopped to rescue this little mite from the middle of the road.


He said his name was Spike

Freycinet is really beautiful. We stayed in a hostel in Coles Bay and went on the Wineglass Bay/Isthmus walk (about 4 -5 hours)


Freycinet National Park


Wineglass Bay

On the east side of the Freycinet peninsula is Hazards beach where I dared Mike to go for a swim. The mad bugger did! I went into the water up to my knees in Wineglass which was mmmore than enough for me.


Mike swimming at Hazards Beach!! (The water was as cold as ice)


Terry on Hazards Beach

The following day we left to go north to St Helenes on the north-east coast. Just outside St. Helenes is Binelong Bay and the Bay of Fires. The rocks in the Bay of Fires have a lovely red lichen on them which creates a beautiful relection in the water and looks particularly effective when the sun shines on them. However this is not the reason for its name - it was given to the area by Captain Tobias Furneaux, in 1773, when he noticed numerous fires along the coast.



Bay of Fires

From St.Helenes we headed inland via St.Marys and travelled along the dirt road that took us around the base of Ben Lomond, a spectacular rocky outcrop which forms the basis of the Ben Lomond National Park.


Ben Lomond National Park


Rossarden and Ben Lomond

Finally on the way back to Hobart we stopped at the Olde Worlde village of Ross. It has a convict built stone bridge which was finished in 1836. We stopped at the bakery cafe for nourishment.


Ross Bridge

And that wraps up the trip. My poor old Blundstones which had travelled around the world a couple of times in the last 2 or so years that Ive had them finally sounded the death rattle. I had to put the poor soles down!
And so I bought two new pairs in Hobart.


farewell old boots - you did me proud!

Tassy was perfect. The trek was amazing despite the difficulties, I saw some fantastic scenery, enveloped myself in some inspiring nature and met some wonderful people. Who could ask for anything more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Terry
Happened upon your blog whilst looking for images on Google. I've just returned from a week in Tassie with my mate and your photos brought back a lot of fond memories... what a place.... Sad to see the end of those blundstones though... they are the best boots!
Cheers mate.B.